Rev. William Waite was born June 9, 1731 in Rhode Island. He became a silversmith and a Baptist clergyman. He married Mary Nichols in 1751 in Rhode Island, where they remained until 1772 when they moved to the White Creek, New York area. Rev. Waite planted a Baptist church in the area. A log building was constructed at what is now the intersection of County Route 68 and the North Hoosick Road (Barker’s Corners).
Only a few years after its founding, the church was nearly destroyed by the Battle of Bennington. Half the congregation sided with the British and half with the Americans. (Rev. William Waite fought in the Battle on the American side, helping procure supplies for General Stark). The church building was burned during the battle. These events finished the church for about two years, but Rev. Waite was able to collect three other members and begin the work again. In 1779 the church was formally reorganized.
In 1784 Rev. Waite gave the church a piece of land from his farm in Center White Creek, two or three miles west of the previous building, where today’s Center White Creek Baptist Church still stands. A building was constructed at that time, but the original building was replaced by the present structure in 1855. Rev. Waite retired from preaching in 1793 and died in 1826. His wife died in 1822.
There are some differences in the accounts of where the early church met and when, some saying it started in Walloomsac and moved to meet at Barker’s Corners after the Battle of Bennington, others saying it met at Barker’s Corners and that building was burned in the Battle. The historical marker at the site claims the latter. At one time there was a small cemetery there, but it has long since disappeared. Whether the log church was rebuilt there after the Battle or they met in homes between 1779 and 1784 is unclear.